- We started the year off with a bang by hosting “Progressive Central” at UDC in our Nation’s Capital. PDA was the only organization to use the week of President Obama’s second inaugural to focus on the issues we were going to push in his second term.
- In February we gathered at our annual meeting in Winslow, Arizona, where we were joined by New Mexico progressive Congressional candidate Eric Griego, and spent our time strategizing how to grow the progressive movement in the years to come.
- Our “Educate Congress” letter drops visited more offices every month, including 251 Congressional offices in November! This is such a good idea that the Nation’s John Nichols honored it in his end-of-the-year progressive honor roll.
- PDA launched its “Progressive Round Table” meeting in 2013, and just completed its 11th in a row. These gatherings of activists, staff and Congress members like Raul Grijalva, Alan Grayson, Keith Ellison, Barbara Lee and Jim McGovern are now getting wider media coverage on We Act Radio, Real News Network and Pacifica.
- Joining with the coalition spearheaded by National Nurses United, PDA helped lead the fight for the Robin Hood Tax (aka, the financial transactions tax), to slow down the Wall Street casino and fund the social and environmental programs America needs.
- Following the leadership of PDA Board Member, Rep. Jim McGovern, we helped defend against most of the devastating $40 billion in cuts to food stamps that the Republicans in the House tried to inflict the needy, including far too many kids.
- PDA, working closely with so many of you and following the excellent guidance of board members Tom Hayden and Rep. Barbara Lee, played a critical role in helping prevent the bombing of Syria. We take extra pride that blocking the bombing of Syria has led to negotiations which have now extended throughout the region. You helped keep the hope for peace alive—thank you!
- We joined the massive coalition put together by Lori Wallach and Global Trade Watch, to oppose the secretive TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership), the latest in a long string of bad trade deals for the 1% to use against the rest of us in the 99%.
- PDA organized more support for H.R. 676, Rep. John Conyers’ single-payer health care bill, and we worked with Local One’s Robert Score and the New York Central Labor Council to get an endorsement of H.R. 676. We also support Senator Bernie Sanders’ recent introduction of the American Health Security Act.
- We continued to be recognized by influential progressives. Rep. Keith Ellison, Co-Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, joined our board, while our long-time ally Rep. John Conyers, read glowing testimony about PDA into the Congressional Record. They both attended a December fundraiser hosted by PDA Board Member—and current D.C. Mayoral candidate—Andy Shallal, while our great friends Jim Hightower, Lily Tomlin, John Nichols and Bob McChesney joined Tom Hayden and Mimi Kennedy at a wonderful fundraiser in Los Angeles.
- PDA continued to grow its issue teams, by focusing on the principles that we have been interested in since our founding in Roxbury almost 10 years ago. We are one of the few organizations still pushing to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, for instance—led by PDA’s Andrea Miller, we continue to organize to find the last 3 states that are needed to put the E.R.A. into the U.S. Constitution.
- Our great ally, Thom Hartmann, continued to feature PDA on his radio program every month, while In These Times also increased their coverage of PDA actions.
We feel pretty proud of what we were able to do in 2013. This list is evidence that we used our small dollar donations wisely and effectively last year, as we have done every year since 2004. We know that the end of the year is a tough time for family finances, but it is also the best time to take stock, to remind ourselves of what we have done together, and to prepare to fight the next round of struggles next year. If you support what we have done together in 2013, please consider donating for 2014.
And thank you for all you do, every day, for a better world. Peace,