Newsflash:
Rob Zerban Economic and Social Justice Detroit suspends water shutoffs for 15 days
Monday, 21 July 2014 17:01

Detroit suspends water shutoffs for 15 days

Written by  By Brent Snavely and Matt Helms | Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department is suspending its water shutoffs for 15 days starting today to give residents another chance to prove they are unable to pay their bills.

“In case we have missed someone who has legitimate affordability problems this will allow them to come to us to see if they can work out payments,” department spokesman Bill Johnson said. “We’ve always maintained that what we were doing was a collection effort — not a shutoff effort.”

The department’s decision comes on the same day that a group of Detroit residents filed a lawsuit in the city’s bankruptcy case asking U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes to restore water service to residential customers.

The residents, backed by a coalition of activist and community groups, allege that the city is violating the constitutional rights and contractual rights by shutting off water for those who owe back payments.

Johnson said he was unaware of that lawsuit.

Darryl Latimer, director of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, told Rhodes today the city will kick off a blitz in the media, social media and though churches and community groups to get information out about payment plans and financial assistance for people with documented inability to pay bills.

“We need to time to make sure our aggressive communications efforts reach customers,” the deputy director of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, Darryl Latimer, told Detroit’s bankruptcy judge, Steven Rhodes, this morning in federal court.

Rhodes, overseeing the city’s historic $18-billion insolvency, took the department to task last week for international attention brought to the city’s efforts to shut off water service to customers who can’t or don’t pay their bills. Thousands of households have been shut off in recent months.

Latimer said the pause does not mean the city will end its efforts to get customers to pay up, with tens of millions in unpaid bills that end up being passed along to paying customers.

While the City of Detroit has made tremendous progress over the past year toward crafting a plan to emerge from bankruptcy, its effort to shore up the finances of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department has been heavily criticized and has captured the attention of the national media. Critics have portrayed water service as an essential human right.

“Water provided through public utilities is a necessity of modern life and continued access to it is a property right accorded due process protections,” the group said in its lawsuit filed with the court today.

The lawsuit was filed by 10 residents along with the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization, People’s Water Board and the Michigan chapter of the National Action Network and Moratorium Now!

The group is asking Rhodes to issue a temporary restraining order to stop all water shutoffs and restore service at least until a hearing can be held in bankruptcy court and the group’s arguments can be presented. Ultimately, the lawsuit asks the judge to order the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department to put a “implement a water affordability plan with income based payments for ... residential customers.”

Rhodes, however, may not have authority to force the city to change its water policies.

While Rhodes said today it is not his role to rule or otherwise address the adequacy of the city’s plans to inform customers better, “I can only say that it does address the concerns I raised last week.”

The city has shut off water to a total of 7,556 customers in April and May.

On Friday, nine people were arrested as more than 1,000 people from across the nation rallied in Detroit against the city's ramped-up effort to collect from delinquent water customers by shutting off service to thousands of residents each month.

Police moved to arrest the protesters who were blocking trucks from leaving a dispatch center that sends out crews to perform the shutoffs. Five men and four women where handcuffed and loaded in to a Detroit police bus at about 1:30 p.m., roughly seven hours after the blockade started. Another man, in a wheelchair, was lifted by officers into a van.

The city cut off water to thousands of residents in recent months, part of a program launched last fall to go after unpaid bills after years of lax enforcement. Failure to collect undermines the financial stability of the water department and forces higher rates on customers who pay, water officials have said.

Detroit’s emergency manager Kevyn Orr said Friday that said no residents who are unable to afford afford water are going without it.

The city said more than 50% percent of its 170,000 residential accounts are 60 days or $150 delinquent. In March, officials at the water department began notifying delinquent customers that service would be shut off unless arrangements were made to settle overdue bills.

Of the 15,266 accounts where water service was suspended, more than half were made current and had the water restored within 24 hours, the city said. The remaining accounts with suspended water service represent less than 4 percent of the water department’s residential customer base.

“All Detroit water customers with demonstrated financial need are being helped, and their water is being restored,” said Orr, who is leading the city through the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history.

Link to original article from Detroit Free Press

Read 3446 times Last modified on Monday, 21 July 2014 17:07

ERA Legislation in your State

Unratified states Gold - Ratified States Purple

Latest News from the Zerban Campaign

  • Meet the Man Who's Trying to Force Paul Ryan to Look for a Real Job
    Meet the Man Who's Trying to Force Paul Ryan to Look for a Real Job

    Once again, Koch brothers cash will face off against a people-powered campaign in Wisconsin this November. The race is for a House seat in the first Congressional District, a seat now held by Paul Ryan. His challenger – the first serious challenge he's faced in 14 years in Congress – is Rob Zerban, a restaurateur and County Commissioner.

    Written on Sunday, 02 September 2012 17:49 Read more...
  • The Real Cost of the Ryan Budget
    The Real Cost of the Ryan Budget

    Everywhere I go during my campaign — parades, farmers markets, even the local deli — I keep hearing the same thing from Wisconsin voters. “We need real representation,” they tell me, “representation that’s focused on the people and what we need.”

    Written on Thursday, 09 August 2012 19:51 Read more...
  • Zerban Submits 230% of Required Nomination Signatures Today
    Zerban Submits 230% of Required Nomination Signatures Today

    "The message is clear: Paul Ryan must be held accountable for his 14 years of failed decisions"

    Written on Saturday, 02 June 2012 01:34 Read more...
  • A Man Who Looks Paul Ryan's Storm Dead in the Eye
    A Man Who Looks Paul Ryan's Storm Dead in the Eye

    "He had a minor in economics," Rob Zerban says of his opponent. "What experience does he have to say that he's the great budget oracle?" "The people of the First District can see where that budget impacts their lives. Their bridges start to crumble. We've got 16 bridges on federal highways alone in the district that have been declared structurally deficientm and that doesn't include county and local municipal bridges.

    Written on Friday, 27 April 2012 01:52 Read more...
  • Rob Zerban Has My Vote in 2012
    Rob Zerban Has My Vote in 2012

    Typically during an election cycle, it often comes down to voting for the lesser of two evils. You choose the one who supports the issues most meaningful to you – or at least doesn’t outright defy them. It can be difficult to encounter a candidate who personifies the conviction and integrity you would imagine only in a perfect political world.

    Written on Sunday, 15 April 2012 18:11 Read more...
  • Rob Zerban Statement on Paul Ryan’s FY2013 “Path to Poverty”
    Rob Zerban Statement on Paul Ryan’s FY2013 “Path to Poverty”

    Today, Rob Zerban, Democratic Congressional challenger to Congressman Paul Ryan, released the following statement in response to the introduction of Paul Ryan’s FY2013 “Path to Poverty” budget.

    “In yet another misguided handout to Wall Street at the expense of Main Street, Congressman Paul Ryan today introduced his latest budget plan, designed to place the blame for his 14 years of poor decisions squarely on the backs of our hardworking families.

    Written on Sunday, 15 April 2012 18:07 Read more...
  • WI-01 Rob Zerban Campaign Kickoff Tour Highlights
    WI-01 Rob Zerban Campaign Kickoff Tour Highlights

    When I began this campaign, I made a commitment to serve as a voice of the people- not of corporations.

    I have been putting that into action. In the last few weeks, I have been working overtime to kickoff my campaign with rallies across the district.

    Written on Monday, 12 March 2012 00:00 Read more...
  • John Nichols: How Rob Zerban forced Paul Ryan to defend Internet freedom

    The American Civil Liberties Union, Free Press and the Save the Internet campaign have made it clear that the Stop Online Piracy Act poses a genuine threat to human rights advocacy and whistleblowing on the Web.

    Written on Tuesday, 17 January 2012 00:00 Read more...

Sign the ERA Petition

ERADemandButton

On Friday, September 12th more than 150 activists will go to DC and Demand that their Senators and Representatives support removing the ratification deadline from the ERA (SJ Res 15 and HJ Res 113)

Button-SignERAPetition

Sign the Petition - Sen. Sanders Run as a Democrat in 2016

Button-SandersPetition

Lori Wallach on the TPP from PDA Progressive Roundtable

Progressive Roundtable with Reps. Ellison and Pocan and Lori Wallach on TPP

TPP: The Biggest Threat to the Internet You've Probably Never Heard Of