We call on the President and Congress to take a crucial step toward tax fairness by allowing the expiration of tax cuts at the end of this year for those with annual incomes above $250,000.
We call on the President and Congress to proceed with major cuts in military spending, a move that would greatly enhance our fiscal strength and national security while helping to fund nation-building at home.
At this crucial moment, we must go out-all for these matters of principle. For a viable alternative fiscal approach, we can draw on the Budget for All that has been developed by the Congressional Progressive Caucus. During the last weeks of this year, and during 2013, we have an opportunity to put forward coherent and visionary options for this country.
Providing clear and viable alternatives to a downward spiral of destructive austerity measures, the Budget for All:
• Creates a Fairer America • Ends tax cuts for the top 2% of Americans on schedule at year’s end
• Extends tax relief for middle class households and the vast majority of Americans
• Creates new tax brackets for millionaires and billionaires • Eliminates the tax code’s preferential treatment of capital gains and dividends
• Abolishes corporate welfare for oil, gas, and coal companies • Eliminates loopholes that allow businesses to dodge their true tax liability
• Calls for the adoption of the “Buffett Rule” • Creates a publicly funded federal election system that gets corporate money out of politics for good
• Brings Our Troops Home • Responsibly and expeditiously ends our military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving America more secure at home and abroad
• Modernizes our military to address 21st century threats and stop contributing to our deficit problems
• Protects American Families
• Provides a Making Work Pay tax credit for families struggling with high gas and food cost 2013-2015
• Extends Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child and Dependent Care Credit • Invests in programs to stave off further foreclosures to keep families in their homes
• Invests in our children’s education by increasing Education, Training, and Social Services
Failure to take a stand for fundamental matters of principle would be unacceptable. No cuts to Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Tax the wealthy at a fair rate. Implement major cuts in military spending. The future of our country is at stake.